Sunday 13 November 2011

Inspiration from Kev Steele

 Kevin Steele is similar to me in many ways. He started playing Poker around six years ago. He is a regular on Pokerstars and Betfred Poker. He hails from the North of England. He is around the same age to me. He has a professional administrative position. He is a successful sit n go player and plays a lot of Maui Jackpot Sit n Gos. Indeed we have played against each other many times. There is one very significant difference:
  Kev has had massive success at multi table tournaments, recently taking down the Sunday Million for the second time. In the last few months he has pocketed the best part of $300,000! including a $12500 win on Beftred (see link).

When I look at his sit n go stats compared to mine I wonder if I should stop pissing about at the lower level games, get some balls and take a shot at the big games. One big problem is that I don't really have the time for a MTT schedule. The most I can dedicate is a few hours a night. Like Kev I have a full time job but I also have a wife and young kids. I suspect he has not. If he has even more respect is due. I cannot contemplate taking on the twelve hour marathon that is the Sunday Million and playing well througout. The last time I got a good nights sleep Bill Clinton was in the Whitehouse.
kevsteele         232$1.69  $12  6%$393  -68PokerStarsSNG Only x
kevsteele         3,001$0.83  $7  10%$2,503  -70iPokerSNG Only Betfred x
Kartajana         3,615$0.99  $6  18%$3,588  -72PokerStarsSNG Only x
Kartajana  Click for details7,367$0.67  $9  9%$4,910  -69iPokerSNG Only Betfred
This has certainly given me something to think about as I come to the end of a year and contemplate my poker future.
Well done Kev. Congratulations. Fantastic effort.


...................
A few days after posting this I played against Kev in a couple of Maui games. We had an a bit of a chat about missed jackpot opportunities and how some coin tosses are more important than others.  He then kindly read my blog and commented as below. Amazing how things work out. He could easily have gone to Las Vegas for the main event, busted early and stayed way down on the poker radar. Good luck with the hatrick bid Kev!!!

2 comments:

kevsteele said...

Hi Kart, and well done in beating me H/U in that last sit n go, hope it's one of the five in a row!

You're right I do have a full time job, but luckily they let me reduce my hours to 32/wk, so I don't work Monday mornings meaning I can play til late on Sunday nights (usually live cash games, but more recently it's been online).

My luck on pokerstars until recently was horrendous, I deposited a few times and was constantly getting horrible beats, so stopped playing on there in March. On 17th July my mate cancelled our live cash game, I was very disappointed as I was feeling confident and up for a game, so decided to deposit on stars and pay a big comp. I entered the Sunday million (1st time I've played it) and somehow ended up winning. Since then I've played it another 9 times, and recently won it again last week. Obviously I was really lucky in both comps, and particularly on the most recent final table I found some great spots to knock people out.

If you're thinking of playing it, have a go - but the only problem is that all the money is on the final table, so you have to be majorly lucky to get a good cash, and it's so easy to play it, say 50 times, and not get a really good cash, no matter how good you are.

By the way the $12,500 win you mention on betfred, was actually a WSOP $13,000 package I won on blue square for $30. I'd have loved to have gone and play it, but was skint at the time and ended up selling the $10k main event seat for £5k to a mate. Having said that, if I had have gone to Vegas, I wouldn't have been able to play the Sunday millions on 17th July :)

Anyway good luck, and hope you win the jackpot soon!

Kev Steele

Kartajana said...

Thanks for the comment Kev. I love the fact you have been frustrated in the past with the variance that is Pokerstars. I guess you may have moved past that now! I notice that you are ranked 81st this year on official poker rankings for profit this year to date. That figure would be top five, if not top for amateur players I am sure.

I have once played in the Sunday Million losing a critical coin toss when becoming fairly short stacked close to the bubble. In truth I played well but was out of my depth and comfort zone. The player who knocked me out with AK v my TT went on to cash for $25000.

Good luck in future events. I will watch ot for you at the Maui tables.

Regards
Jason (Kartajana)