Saturday 2 February 2013

Beating The Rake




In the Maui Jackpot sit n go games I play the stake is $5 for entry and $1 fee (or rake). I am looking to make an average of $1 per game for me and also cover the $1 rake. This is no easy task as it is double the normal rake % (which contributes towards jackpots and consolation bonuses). You have to play well and be lucky or at the very least keep on good terms with lady luck.
 
In January it would seem me and lady luck have fallen out somewhat, particularly in the early part of the month. Later as our relationship improved so did my results but not enough to beat the rake. I should state though here that whilst I did not run good in January I did not play my best game either. The Sharkscope chart below shows my overall results both with and without rake. It certainly provides an interesting slant on my results. I played 275 games and lost $100 if you count the $275 fees. Without them I won $175.
 
 
 
 
 
When you factor in rakeback (a proportion of your rake returned as a loyalty or volume bonus) the picture is complicated further. In practice I won $175 off other players and then gave it to the nice people at Betfred/I-Poker. I also gave them an extra $100 of my own because my results were not good enough. Then, for my loyalty they gave me around $50 back. So an overall loss of around $50!
 
On a positive note the Maui Jackpot has rolled over to $46,500, which is well worth my time and effort. In February I will refocus on working on my poker plan to try to improve my play. I will also try to stop focusing on the short term and luck.
 
Play well.

1 comment:

dD said...

how important is beating the rake ? is the bottom line (net loss/gain) not more important ?
regards
Res