Saturday 2 July 2011

Mind and Body


Joe Hachem, former world champion recently commented how the difference between a good player and very good player is marginal and that psychology has a key role to play. We all get the same cards but the players who deal with bad cards the best end up being the best. With this in mind I have purchased and just started the new poker book by Jared Tendler "The Mental Game Of Poker." He can help me because I am a "Mental Game Fish" (in his words). Whilst I am a good winning player I am not proficient at playing well consistently and coping with inevitable variance. By helping me understand why I sometimes play sub-optimally I am hoping I can bring my A game more often and be much more balanced in my thinking when bad cards come.
(I will post a book review when I have finished but it has started very well.)
Once my mind is sorted I also need help with my body. I am unfit and a little overweight. I play much better I believe when I feel fitter. I was fitter in January and February when my overall play was very solid. I plan to lose seven pounds by Christmas building up a solid exercise routine on alternate days.
Progress from these two areas may take a little time as I read the book and start to get fitter. Time will tell if I can turn this into more dollars at the poker table. My currently fish-like mind believes I can.

No comments: