Monday 30 April 2012

Readers Rio Challenge



In May and June I will play only the Rio Jackpot Sit N Go as per the result of my blog readers survey. Over the two months I will compete in 250 games and try to make $800. The $800 will hopefully come from $150 direct profit on the games themselves, $200 rakeback, $300 for a consolation bonus and $150 from the freeroll opportunities this level of activity gives me. Anything above $500 return I will be happy as the consolation bonus is a tough one. Thanks to those who voted.


Over the last month or so I have not done well on the Rio games so this will genuinely be a challenge. Variance is a constant threat within the structure and the high rake makes the game tough to beat. However on a more positive note I have a good feel for the correct strategy. I need to get involved and demonstrate controlled aggression early. I must remember the importance of position and observe my opponents. I must focus on playing to win rather than just to cash but should avoid coinflips until absolutely necessary. On the bubble I have to adjust approach based on the chip stacks at that point. Once in the money I should be both patient and aggressive to secure the best position possible. I should always adapt to the dynamics of the individual game. When on a sequence of wins or top twos I should adjust my approach to focus on the jackpot or consolation opportunity. I will not go on tilt. This is easier said than done. As I go through the games I intend to make notes on key positive events and mistakes in an attempt to further strengthen my strategy.


Two non poker things I intend to focus on in this period are my fitness and my sleep. If I can increase both this will really help with this challenge. Too often I have followed a good early session with a poor late one largely based on fatigue.


Watch this space for updates.


Please note no expensive Spanish footballers were harmed during the production of this blog post.

No comments: