Tuesday 14 February 2012

Rio Jackpot Sit N Go



Prior to taking on my Maui challenge last year my favoured jackpot sit n go was the $20 Rio game. Six players paying a $3.50 rake and looking to cash for $60, $36 or $24. Six win gives you at least $25,000. Six top twos wins $300. I have won the consolation three times. I have also played for the Jackpot three times, always coming third. Two of these games were very creditable efforts and I came very close. The other time I let myself down, played way too tight and never gave myself a chance. I am currently working on a blog post on how to win that final game, an approach that would apply to all the jackpot formats. Watch this space. My record to date in these games is below. When you take into account the rakeback potential, the consolations and the missed jackpot opportunities I should probably play them a lot more. I am currently working on my six man game following a poor re-introduction to them in January.
 
Kartajana  Click for details1,370$0.63  $20  3%$861  HotN/AiPokerE6-6 S20-20 SNG Only

 
Part of the problem with the Rios is the structure. Only a 1000 chips and fairly fast moving levels means there is not a lot of play available and you often get four or more players when the blinds are very high. Sure you can still apply strategy at this push/fold stage but luck becomes a bigger part. Back in 2009 I had Poker tuition from Jennifear a top sit n go player. When she considered this jackpot structure and the $3.50 rake she simply said "Never play these games again." I didn't listen and argued my case about some of the very poor players playing these games making them an attractive option. When I get my strategy back on track in these games and have better mental control over the variance they can produce I could really do well. Until then save me a seat.................

No comments: